May 9, 2008

7:35 a.m. Departure

Hey All,
Here I am, less than 9 hours before I'm supposed to be leaving, updating my blog and creating an email list. We leave tomorrow and will arrive in Mekelle sometime Sunday or Monday. I have no idea how we are getting from the capital Addis Ababa across the country to Mekelle, but it'll happen somehow.


The first ever WSU Deputation team consists of myself and a fellow coug, Megan. Together we will tutor children in English, math and technology at a youth center in Mekelle, Ethiopia. From what I understand it is like the YMCA or the Boys and Girls Club, only with a lot more kids.

For the trip I raised a good amount of support, in addition to extra donations to buy supplies. So far, the following has been purchased with the supply money:

- 90 tennis balls!! (Great find at Goodwill- They are so expensive and the youth center desperately needs them)
- 5 basketballs
- 3 small basketballs
- 2 volley balls
- 5 soccerballs
- 1 kick ball (gotta love the childhood games)
- A couple tennis rackets
- A bunch of craft supplies!!
- The game of Sorry
- A couple books

Our bags would not allow for much as seeming as how I spent over an hour on the scale with my bags trying to rearrange supplies. The rest of the $50 available will be used to buy more supplies there and treat kids to coffee and ice cream (it's all about building relationships!)

I am very excited about the departure tomorrow, yet more nervous than last year. I'd have to admit that this year is spent finishing up more last minute details..

Hope all is well, and I would like to say thanks to the incredible roommates and friends who wished me a warm send-away, I will miss you all!

No comments: